Wednesday 19 September 2012

Day 23 - Felt Mazes

I'm definitely on a bit of a felt buzz at the moment! Here's my latest felty creation:



It's a felt maze! As usual with all things crafty someone else had not only thought of this before me but had also created a super tutorial for me to follow! Check out Ladybird Ln if my pics don't make any sense. :)


So first step is to pick some co-ordinating felt and material and search Google images for  maze. Use your maze as a template and cut out your fabric and felt leaving a small seam allowance.


Cut out two little squares of your fabric to mark the start and end of your maze. Mine are about 2 inches. Fold them in half to make triangles and pin to your felt. This will be the front side of your maze.


Add a ribbon and pin it in place. Sew across the long side of the triangles. Leave the outside sides (they'll be sewed in a minute!)


Pin your felt and fabric right sides together and sew around the outside. 


Make sure to leave a gap so you can turn it the right way out.


Turn and press. Love the ribbon tab! :)


Pin your maze in place and sew over the lines. Don't sew the outside lines as you'll need to add your marble! Up to you what colour thread you go for. My maze is a little bit trickier so I used black thread but you could use a co-ordinating colour if your maze was simpler (or your kids like a challenge). I kinda wish I'd used white thread for the fabric side so you could try it either way. Next time! :)


Then the fun part - rip that paper off!


Put your marble (or button in my case!) in and test drive. Make sure it's easy to move through the maze. Then use a zig-zag stitch around the outside to close up the gap and finish off your maze.

The finished product - the back


The finished product - the front. A-maze-ing!


Things I've learnt:
- Make sure the walls of your maze are wide enough to fit your marble or you'll end up having to use a button like me! (the button does work fine but its a bit harder to find and move about)
- Make sure the space you leave for turning the maze the right way out is big enough! I always end up with struggling with a tiny gap!
- Don't leave a giant seam allowance or you'll end up losing most of your start and finish triangles like I did. :(


8 comments:

  1. This is sooooo FUN!!!!!! Love that you added the things you learned!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is definitely a figure it out as I go along blog so there will always be a list of things I've learnt! :)

      Delete
  2. This turned out great, the button idea is fabulous! One of my mazes turned out a little small so I used one of those little flat glass decorative rock things,and that worked as well. I would love for you to share this at my Link party this weekend, so I can show it off!

    Carlee
    www.ladbirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a great idea! Pretty delighted with it, I can see many more of these mazes in my future! :) I'll absolutely share it at your Link party!

      Delete
  3. I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post
    was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!
    my webpage - Yorba Linda, ca carpet cleaning services

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea!!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute idea! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool idea!!! I've never seen a maze like this before... love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for all your lovely comments! They make my day. :)

Feel free to email me at blog.beinginspired@gmail.com either!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...